Mechatronic and Robotic Systems
In this research, we are extending our methods for multibody mechanical
systems to multibody mechatronic systems. This research has been greatly
facilitated by the use of graph-theoretic methods, which provides
a single, consistent linear graph representation of a system containing
analog and digital components from mechanical, electrical, hydraulic,
and other physical domains.
To validate this theoretical research, two experimental robots have
WatFlex : A free-floating flexible robotic manipulator
Hexplorer : A six-legged walking robot
- C. Schmitke and J. McPhee, Using Linear Graph Theory and the Principle of Orthogonality to Model Multibody, Multi-Domain Systems, Adv. Eng. Infor., v.22, 147160, 2008.
- M. Peasgood, C. Clark, and J. McPhee, Complete and Scalable Multi-Robot Roadmap Coordination Planning, IEEE Trans. Robotics, v.24, 283-292, 2008.
- Y. He and J. McPhee, A Design Methodology for Mechatronic Vehicles: Application of MDO, Multibody Dynamics, and Genetic Algorithms, Veh. Sys. Dyn., 697-733, 2005.
- J.P. Hauschild, G. Heppler, and J. McPhee, Friction Compensation of Harmonic Drive Actuators,
6th International Conference on Dynamics and Control of Systems and Structures in Space, Liguria,
Italy, July 2004, pp.683-692
- M. Scherrer and J. McPhee, Dynamic Modelling of Electromechanical Multibody Systems, Multibody
System Dynamics, vol.9, no.1, 2003, pp.87-115.
- T. Geike and J. McPhee, Inverse Dynamic Analysis of Parallel Manipulators with Full Mobility,
Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol.38, no.6, 2003, pp.549-562.
- L. Sass, J. McPhee, C. Schmitke, P. Fisette, and D. Grenier, A Comparison of Different Methods for
Modelling Multibody Systems with Electrical Drives, Multibody System Dynamics, vol.12, no.3,
- M. Scherrer and J. McPhee, Dynamic Modelling of Electromechanical
Multibody Systems, to appear in Multibody System
- T. Geike and J. McPhee, Inverse Dynamic Analysis of Parallel
Manipulators with Full Mobility, to appear in Mechanism and Machine
- C. Schmitke and J. McPhee, Effective use of Subsystem
Models in Multibody and Mechatronic System Dynamics, submitted
to International Journal of Computational Civil and
Structural Engineering, 2002.
- T. Geike and J. McPhee, On the Automatic Generation
of Inverse Dynamic Solutions for Parallel Manipulators,
Proceedings of Workshop on Fundamental Issues and Future Research
Parallel Mechanisms and Manipulators
, Quebec City, Canada, October 2002.
- M. Makatchev, J. McPhee, S.K. Tso, and S. Lang, Modelling,
Control, and Interface for a Four-Wheel-Steering
Mobile Robot, to appear in IEEE Transactions on
Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A, 2002.
- T. Geike and J. McPhee, Inverse Dynamic Analysis of
Parallel Manipulators with 3 or 6 Degrees of Freedom,
Proceedings of 14th CISM-IFToMM Symposium on Robotics, Udine,
Italy, July 2002, pp.49-58.
- P. Shi, J. McPhee, and G. Heppler, Design and Control
of an Experimental Facility for Emulating Space-Based Robotic
Manipulators, Proceedings of International Symposium on
Robotics, Montreal, 2000, pp.481-486.
- M. Makatchev, S. Lang, S. Tso, and J. McPhee, Cross-Coupling
Control for Slippage Minimization of a Four-Wheel-Steering
Mobile Robot, Proceedings of International Symposium on
Robotics, Montreal, 2000, pp.42-47.
- D. Lovekin, G. Heppler, and J. McPhee, Design and Analysis
of a Facility for Free-floating Flexible Manipulators,
Transactions of the CSME, vol.24,
no.2, pp.375-390, 2000.
- J. Heilig and J. McPhee, Determination of Minimum-Time
Manoeuvres for a Robotic Manipulator using Numerical Optimization
Methods, Mechanics of Structures and Machines
, vol.27, no.2, pp.185-201, 1999.
- D. Horvath, S. Williams, and J. McPhee, Design and
Implementation of a Walking Robot, Proceedings of International
Conference on Field and Service Robotics, Canberra, Australia,
pp.137-144, Dec. 1997.